Providing safety and security since ages, Pole lights have become an integral part of the society. In 500 BC, natural gas from the lava leakage of a volcano was used as fuel for the first documented use of a street light.
From that time onwards, pole lights because a symbol of security and became an oasis in the dark of the night. The fuel used to power the pole light from natural gas became vegetable oil which ultimately became electricity. The light source too traveled from fire to LED light bulbs.
LED street lights today come in all shapes and forms. From big to small, there is a pole light for every pole. From high power to low power, these pole lights cover yards as well as highways.
But the light source and fuel concept is oversimplified. LED pole lights are complicated because they are classified on multiple grounds. That is why we have prepared this guide to walk you through the bright world of LED street lights.
Here are the ways in which LED street lights are classified
Classification based on wattages:
55-watt: This is a small wattage LED yard light which replaces 250-watts metal halide fixture. This light is also known as LED barn light or dusk to dawn light.
100-watt: This is a street light which replaces 300-watt metal halide fixture
150-watt: Street lights in 150-watt come in three different color temperatures of 3000K, 4000K and 5700K. This pole light replaces 450-watt metal halide.
200-watt: This is a slightly higher power pole light which replaces 700-watt metal halide fixture.
240-watt: This is a high power street light which replaces 800-watt metal halide fixture.
300-watt: This is a powerful street light which has the capacity to replace a whopping 1000-watt metal halide fixture.
Classification based on color temperature:
3000 Kelvin: This is the range in which a soft white light appears often yellowish in color.
4000 Kelvin: This color temperature gives a bright white light.
5700 Kelvin: This color temperature is similar to daylight.
Classification based on input voltage
120V - 277V: This is the standard voltage and most street lights run on this voltage
200V - 480V: This is a high power voltage and high power street lights work on this voltage
Classification based on mounting options
There are multiple different mounting options available for pole lights which are
Direct mount: This mount slips directly into the light and provides for no adjustment whatsoever.
Slip fitter mount: This mount gives the option for adjustment at an angle of 90 or 45 degrees.
Universal mount: This mount can be adjusted at any angle and can fit any mount given. This is the most widely used mount for pole lights.
Main features of LED street lights
Energy-efficient: The energy-efficiency of these pole lights are off the charts. As seen above, a much lower wattage LED pole lights can replace a much higher wattage metal halide fixture.
This is because LED technology converts 95% of the electricity consumed into light leaving a mere 5% which gets converted as heat. But this heat is also managed by the internal thermal dissipation system of the fixture which disposes off the heat in an eco-friendly way.
Motion Sensor: The pole lights of today come with a motion sensor so that the power consumption of the light can be reduced when it is not needed. This further saves electricity.
Dimmable: These pole lights are dimmable with the help of a dimmer switch. The switch fluctuates the voltage between 0-10V thereby increasing or decreasing the luminosity of the fixture.
Long-lasting: These pole light fixtures are highly long-lasting. Having a rated operational life of 50,000 hours these pole light fixtures last for a minimum of 5.7 years even if used 24 hours of the day.
Dusk to Dawn: One special feature of these pole lights is that these work automatically without any human intervention with the use of a photocell. A photocell allows the pole light to switch on at dusk and switch back off at dawn.
Eco-friendly: These pole light fixtures are highly eco-friendly thanks to the efficiency they display. The less consumption of electricity means that less power is demanded from the grid ultimately bringing down the emission of CO2 in the atmosphere.
LED pole lights are also ecofriendly because the process of generating light in an LED is much different than conventional technology, therefore, no harmful chemical is used. Further, all the components used in the production of LEDs are recyclable making them easier to dispose off.
Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.