The Importance Of Undertaking An LED Pole Lights Maintenance Routine
Since you must not ignore the significance of undertaking regular maintenance routines, let's discuss some indispensable maintenance practices that will come in handy. Albeit, before we can share the tips and tricks, you should be well-versed with the most common problems with LED parking lot lights.
LED pole lights or any other LED lighting fixture can fall prey to either of the following problems:
Equipment ProblemsWhen talking about LED equipment-related problems, the following are the most pressing ones:
Malfunctioning DriversLed lighting fixtures operate on direct current (DC) voltages. However, the mains supply voltage is an alternating current (AC), making the ever an essential component for an LED light's functioning. The driver is responsible for providing an LED lighting fixture with adequate DC input. The exertion of unbearable stress can cause premature driver failure. The various kinds of stress that can take a toll on an LED driver are:
- Excessive moisture: LED drivers come with an IP rating that suggests the degree to which they can withstand moisture. Upon exceeding the limits of exposure, an LED river can fail!
- Improper Voltage supply: Suppose an LED driver comes with a rating of 120-volts. Using the 120-volts driver with a 220-volts power supply can damage the driver's internal circuitry.
Dysfunctional LightsLED pole lights are subject to extreme outdoor conditions. Therefore, it is natural that the lights can give up at some point. The most common problems with LED lights are:
- Epoxy degradation: LED lights with epoxy optics show yellowing as the resin's polymers begin to degrade under the sun's UV radiations.
- Thermal stress: Constant rise and fall in temperatures can cause non-repairable cracks in the epoxy resin optics.
- Differentiated phosphor degeneration: LED lights that produce white light are the result of combining different phosphorus. Over time, the phosphorus starts degrading at a varied pace, resulting in degraded color temperature.
- Thermal Runaway: Heat-related damages are the prime reason for further temperature rise and an LED light's failure.
Weary Protective devicesLED pole lights come with a surge protection device. A malfunctioning surge protector can cause permanent damage to the LED lights. Furthermore, an improper fuse system can cause a total LED light burn-out!
Dwindling ControlsThe various lighting controls that make LED lighting fixtures a better alternative to traditional lights can cause a problem or two! Improper functioning of motion sensors and photocells or an error in manual control can cause temporary damage to an LED pole light fixture.
The most common performance problems you can face with LED pole lighting fixtures are:
LED lights can withstand freezing temperatures but not high heat. Operating an LED lighting fixture in temperatures above 122°F (50°C) can damage the diode junction, leading to non-repairable damage.
Gradual Color ShiftAn LED pole light fixture can show temporary or permanent color change. A temporary color change can be the result of a low voltage supply or rising junction heat. At the same time, a permanent color loss is a result of phosphor degradation.
Degrading Light Output
LED lighting fixtures come with an L70 rating. The rating is a marker of a point when the light produces 70% of its initial light output. For instance, if a new LED light fixture produces 10,000 lumens, it will start providing 7,000 lumens at some point in time.
Okay, now that you know the most common LED light problems, let's move on to figuring out a fool-proof solution:
Choosing Premium-quality LED lights:There are a plethora of LED pole lights that you can buy. However, making sure to pick lamps that offer an exceptional lifespan, adequate IP ratings, and industry-standard lighting certifications is the key to not being tricked!
Undertaking a bi-monthly cleaning routine
Nothing in this world is safe from the dust that's in the winds. Therefore, you should consider cleaning the outdoor LED lighting fixtures once every two months. Dusting the lights will ensure the proper functioning of the heat sink, ensuring that the lamp performs as it should!